Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Snickerdoodles by Sarah

I am very excited to introduce a new series here on Short Story Long! My good friend Sarah K is a personal chef and will be joining us every few weeks to share some of the recipes she's working on. She'll give us insights, tips, and tricks that we can use in our own kitchen adventures. Don't be afraid to ask questions in the comments below. Enjoy!

I've been pretty homesick this week. To pass the time, my mind drifts to the laughter of family and friends, the lights, the hugs, and the smell of the dozen or so varieties of cookies that grace my parents' table each Christmas. One cookie in particular that always makes me think of my mom is Snickerdoodles! So with the holidays just around the corner, I thought I'd let you in on one of my tips for getting ready weeks ahead of time!

This recipe is from Allrecipes.com, with a few small tweaks. :)



Ingredients
1 cup shortening (I used softened unsalted butter)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
(I added 1t pure vanilla extract)
2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets (or line them with parchment).
  • In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended.
  • In a small shallow bowl, stir together the 2 tablespoons of sugar with the cinnamon. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls and roll the balls in the sugar mixture. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Cookies should be slightly golden at the edges. Remove to cool on wire racks.

Bake some for now, and some for later! Roll the cookie dough in cinnamon-sugar mixture, toss into a zipper bag and freeze for 1 to 2 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight before baking.


Enjoy with a cup of hot apple cider!

1 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah ~ Thanks for sharing the recipe. I think Snickerdoodles were named because they make people happy when they eat them! Hope you and Brent have a special Thanksgiving together. Hopefully you'll be home sooner than later. Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Short Story Long All rights reserved
© Blog Milk
Powered by Blogger

^