Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Dear 18 Year Old Stacy




The last couple of weeks have been full of graduations here in the Bay Area. I'm proud to say that not only did my cousin graduate from high school, but so did one of my Farm Drive girls. As I attended one of the graduations, I was reminded of the joy, hope, and excitement that comes with finishing high school. A new chapter is about to unfold and being able to look back on that is exciting. As I watched all of the graduates interact with their friends and family, I realized that they have so much change coming their way. They'll grow closer to some friends, lose track of others, but identify who matters most.

This retrospection got me thinking, what would I tell my 18 year old self, if I could? Would I be super vague or would I give away all the details? Would I instruct myself to do things differently or would I let things play out the way they have. If I'm completely honest, there are definitely some surprises that I would want to warn my past self about. I have some regrets and have made some mistakes that I would like to take back. Otherwise, I like to think I would be vague in order for myself to grow through my experiences. Here is what I've decided on...
  • Be a better friend and visit Julie down in SLO at least once a semester.
  • Marry Robbie, it's the right choice.
  • Don't compare yourself, your life, your marriage, or your decisions to anyone else. 
  • Finish school, you won't regret it*.
  • Don't take the first option that comes your way, either make sure it's something you'll love or see what else is available.
What would you tell your former self? Would you drop any major bombs or let history repeat itself?
(Photos taken at my high school graduation in 2005)

*I did graduate with a BA, but I seriously considered leaving school in 2008.

1 comments:

  1. I think the things I would tell my 18 year old self would be:
    1) Forget the Mr. Right list; God knows better (and He gave it to me!)
    2) My parents did the very best job they could do even when I didn't agree or would want to shoot the "blame arrows".
    3) Finishing college said something about my perseverance. I'm glad I did it. I'm SOOO thankful that my parents saw college as a priority and supported me through those years.
    4) I wish I had only worked part time when my kids were little. I feel like I missed a lot.
    5) Don't wait until you are retired to travel. There's so much to see in this world of ours!
    6) Don't be afraid to say "I'm sorry" or "I don't know".
    And, last but not least,
    7) Love life, appreciate trials and learn from your mistakes but, be forgiving (of yourself and others).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Short Story Long All rights reserved
© Blog Milk
Powered by Blogger

^