Thursday, June 14, 2012

Lake Retba



Lake Retba (or Lac Rose) is a lake in Senegal, in the Northwestern part of Africa. It's named for pink hues, which are caused by a bacteria in the water called cyanobacteria. The lake is also known for its high salt content (similar to the Dead Sea), allowing people to effortlessly float along the surface. Although the idea of floating in a pink lake is intriguing, I would definitely worry about the bacteria. I realize that there is bacteria in all bodies of water, however, this species is so dominant it changes that entire lake a different color! Geez!

Would you float around Lake Retba, even with all the cyanobacteria? 
(Photos: GretchenJones)

5 comments:

  1. if other people are doing it i'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I love a good adventure that doesn't require a long hike to see it. Then, I'd be in that water in a hot second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so funny! I think I would feel a little freaked out about having the bacteria all over me. Maybe it's worse because I would actually be seeing it, but I imagine I would feel very uneasy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Short Story Long All rights reserved
© Blog Milk
Powered by Blogger

^