Thursday, October 11, 2012

What Do You Want to Be?


One of the bloggers I read, Sharon Beesley, just landed a pretty sweet gig at Elizabeth Street (congratulations!) and shared her experience getting to this point. Here is a quick snippet of her post:

PS Jordan Ferney took the above picture of me when I was in Paris a few years ago. One night she asked me what I wanted to be. I told her I really wanted to be a writer. Her response was something like, "You want to be a writer? Great! Call yourself a writer when people ask you what you do. Put it as your occupation on Facebook. There. Now you're a writer." She's the best at going after what she wants without making excuses. I love that about her. She's right--calling myself a writer actually turned me into a writer. This theory doesn't exactly fly for someone who wants to be a brain surgeon, but it works for most other things. What do you want to be? A runner? An artist? A baker? Consider yourself one and watch what happens!

This idea got me thinking about what I would call myself. Right now, I would call myself a manicurist and magazine contributor (because that is what I am doing), but is that what I really want to call myself? To be honest, I'm not sure. I feel more content now than I have for months and I am so grateful for the place I am in. I love my internship and I love the personal interaction I get from being in the salon, but I have zero thoughts for the future. 

Will I stay in the salon long term? Will the magazine take off? Who knows! All I know is that I am ok with where life is right now. I'm not anxiously awaiting the next season or frustrated that I haven't moved onto a new phase; I'm happy. I do like Jordan's advice (and I think that it can be very freeing), but I'm ok with not knowing what my title is yet. 

Do you know what do you want to be? 

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog (actually by looking which blogs blog milk had created) and I think your blog is great. Love this post as I am currently trying to figure out my title too. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley! Thank you for such a wonderful compliment. :) If you're thinking of working with Blog Milk, I COMPLETELY recommend it. She was absolutely amazing and I love how my re-design turned out.

    Thank you for stopping by and I looking forward to reading more of Calmly Chaotic myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! I just found your blog and I love it. Thank you for your inspiring words. It makes me think about what I really, like really, want to be called and more importantly, what I want to do.

    Thanks so much!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um YES this magazine will take off! Even if I have to launch it on a rocket myself.

    This reminds me of one of my best friend's life mottos: Don't talk about it, be about it. It's how I got to where I'm at today, and although I don't think I'm completely settled in my line of work yet, I feel good knowing that I'm close and headed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Short Story Long All rights reserved
© Blog Milk
Powered by Blogger

^