Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Garden

Robbie and I have always talked about growing a garden at home. It is something I have wanted to do for years, but didn't have the space for. Our current place has more than enough space, so now that we are fully settled, we broke ground on our first garden.


For our maiden voyage, we planted flowers, tomatoes, and herbs. The herbs shot straight up and grew to be taller than me! The flowers blossomed early and were a beautiful addition to the overall landscape. The tomatoes have taken the longest to flower and ripen, but they have continued to produce well into October. It has been satisfying to see the fruits of our labor (literally!) and be able to incorporate them into our diet. I've found that there really is nothing better than biting into a fresh tomato picked right off the vine. Next year, we hope to grow corn!


Do you have a garden? Is it an urban garden? What are favorite things to grow?
(All photos taken by Sobrina from Quiet Like Horses)

4 comments:

  1. Lovely images. How lucky you are to have enough space/land to think of planting corn?! I live in an apartment so the food 'garden' consists of a basil plant and a mint (both of which threaten to go at any minute!)
    Happy to meet you via byw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lindsey and i tried a little micro herb garden in our sideyard/parking spot thing. everything was eaten by slugs and then died because there is not enough sunlight... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a garden; I don't even want to try a veg garden in the high desert of Flagstaff, AZ. However, I absolutely love your photos. Either you learned fast from Leslie's lessons in our BYW class lessons, or you have always been GREAT! Thank you for sharing your garden produce and your adventures. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. homestilo - I am very fortunate to have enough space to grow lots of veggies. I do have to admit that my plants would be just as threatened as your basil and mint if it weren't for my husband and our very handy roommate.

    Andrew - Drat those slugs! Are you and Lindsey trying to plant anymore at your new place?

    Marrianna - You are correct, that harsh sun would really abuse fragile fruits and veg. Thank you for the compliment on my photos, I am learning a TON from BYW. BUT, I did not take these photos, my friend Sobrina, over at www.quietlikehorses.com took them for me. She's amazing!

    Thanks for stopping by everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Short Story Long All rights reserved
© Blog Milk
Powered by Blogger

^