Monday, June 25, 2012

Only 7 Days Left!

With only a week left before we leave, my brain is having a hard time focusing on anything other than my trip. Over the weekend, we spent time preparing by studying up on our destinations. I was able to find my travel journal from our last trip to Europe in 2009, and it was so fun to look back on those memories. Here is an excerpt from our stay in Rome.


Day 3 - July 3, 2009
I've woken up early (5:30am local time!) to the sound of movement. There are cars and trucks alive and well in Rome this morning. The temperature is cool, but I can feel that it is going to get warm. We are going to see the Colosseum today and I am excited. I'll write more when we get back!

For dinner, we found a little restaurant in an alley, down a side street. It was so delicious! They gave us complimentary bruschetta, we ordered mozzarella & prosciutto on baked bread as our appetizer. For dinner, I had the gorgonzola gnocchi and Robbie had the salmon and spinach pasta. The food was great and the setting romantic. We were at a two-person table, eating by candlelight, on a cobblestone road. It was amazing and perfect all at the same time; or it was as though I was living in a movie. This is what I mean by this being surreal. I can hardly believe this is happening to me. I would have never imagined I would be doing this in my lifetime. 

Unfortunately, I placed large expectations on myself to write long, detailed descriptions of each place and ended up losing momentum half way through the trip. I remember trying to play catch and feeling overwhelmed, which is too bad. I'm going to do my best to write down images and memories I don't want to forget, but I don't want to stress myself out over it.

Do you keep a journal while you travel? Does it enhance your trip or way you down?

1 comments:

  1. You write so beautifully but it takes a long time to perfect your thoughts into prose. You might try bullets of thought which you could expand on later when you have more time. That way, you don't forget those special times, places, and people. You can refer to them later, especially if you produce a digital scrapbook when you return.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Short Story Long All rights reserved
© Blog Milk
Powered by Blogger

^